During your dry eye assessment, we will complete a series of tests to carefully examine your ocular surface and tear film to determine which areas of your tear film are not performing properly. Dry eye is caused by an imbalance of the tear film, which is essential to keeping your eyes healthy, comfortable, and seeing well. The tear layer is made up of 3 components:
• A lipid component (oil) produced by the meibomian glands in the eyelids.
• An aqueous component (water) produced by the lacrimal glands.
• A mucin component (mucous like)
Each component of the tear film serves a critical purpose. A problem with any of these components can result in tear instability and dry eye.
Symptoms of dry eye include:
• Burning sensation
• Itchy eyes
• Foreign body sensation/Grittiness
• Aching sensation/Pain
• Heavy eyes
• Sore eyes
• Red eyes
• Photophobia/light sensitivity
• Blurred vision
• Watery eyes
After the assessment we will develop a customized treatment plan to address the root cause of your dry eye.
Your treatment plan may include:
• Behavioural modifications
• At home and/or office treatments for lid hygiene including ZEST in office treatment
• Selected lubricant eye drops, ointments or gels
• Oral antibiotics
• Nutritional supplements
• Prescription eye drops
• TempSure Envi RadioFrequency treatment in office – uses controlled heat therapy to gently heat and unclog meibomian glands to relieve dry eye. Collagen production is also promoted which also tightens skin around eyelids to reveal a more youthful appearance.
If you feel you may be suffering from dry eye, contact our office to book your dry eye evaluation.Book An Appointment
We are your local eye care professional. Call the office, send us an email or talk to us on social media!